The following are a variety of Astronomy-related resources available for our members.
Member Web Sites:
- Astronomer Ed Education site in support of Project Astro. By Ed Pieret
- Greenhawk Observatory Backyard observatory, Astrophotography. By Chanan Greenberg.
- Aluminum Coating for optics and telescope mirrors; building a telescope. By Bob Fies.
- BayAstro Groups.io Weekly updates about astronomy lectures and events in the Bay Area. By Ken Lum.
Local Training and Education:
- College of San Mateo Astronomy Department Classroom and lab courses in Astronomy.
- Advice on telescope selection and operation. Contact Frank Seminaro.
SMCAS Belongs to and Supports:
- Night Sky Network. Astronomy clubs that bring the wonders of the universe to the public.
- International Dark Sky Association. Works to preserve the night sky for present and future generations.
- Project Astro. Be a Project Astro Star!! Trains and matches amateur astronomers one-on-one with educators in the classroom. Join up! Contact John Fiske or Ed Pieret.
- The Astronomical League. Astronomy resources, clubs, bookstore, online Reflector magazine.
Organizations that offer Public Lectures on Astronomy and Related Topics:
- Bay Area Science Publishes a year-round event calendar and also runs the Bay Area Science Festival.
- SETI Institute Offers monthly presentations at SRI in Menlo Park.
- KIPAC Offers frequent very technical ‘tea talks’ on a variety of astronomy topics.
- Northern California Astronomy Resources Publishes calendar of publications astronomy talks.